Tell The World

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell The World Forum focuses on the study of the Holy Scriptures and to sharing the good news of Jesus soon coming. A place of sharing with no discrimination and debate.

California Adventist Academy Graduate Wins Gates Millennium Scholarship

ManOfPeace
    ManOfPeace
    LEAD Moderator
    LEAD Moderator

Works : 85

California Adventist Academy Graduate Wins Gates Millennium Scholarship Empty California Adventist Academy Graduate Wins Gates Millennium Scholarship

Post by ManOfPeace August 17th 2012, 3:20 am

California Adventist Academy Graduate Wins Gates Millennium Scholarship

Submitted: Aug 2, 2012
    By AT News Team

Helen You graduated recently from Paradise Adventist Academy in northern California and is headed to Andrews University this fall with a full scholarship from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. She had a perfect 4.0 grade point average, more than 400 hours of community service during her four years of secondary school and plays two musical instruments, so guidance counselor Brenda Muth encouraged her to apply for the scholarship program. “There’s no one I know that’s more deserving of this scholarship,” Muth told the Chico Enterprise-Record.

The teenager immigrated from South Korea with her mother in 2003. She knew no English at all, but learned the language within a month and by fifth grade “got her first straight-A report card,” reports the newspaper. Her mother works as a caregiver and was worried about how to pay for college because Helen had only a $500 scholarship from within the Adventist education system.

“We screamed and jumped up and down and we screamed and cried,” the mother told reporter Ben Mullin. “The thing that makes me the happiest about receiving this scholarship,” Helen said, is “to relieve my mom of the burden of paying for my college education.” Helen wants to be a physician specializing in ophthalmology because of her experience during a mission trip to Honduras, volunteering in an eye clinic for two weeks.

The newspaper described Andrews University as a school “with a minuscule student-to-professor ratio and a great academic program.” The teenager is typical of many Adventist youth from minority families in North America, helped to achieve social mobility through Christian education.

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 7:09 pm